RED REACTIONS
Menu navigation

news · tv

Meghan Markle’s Reported The Gentlemen Role Is Already in Doubt

Meghan Markle was reportedly in talks for a possible role in The Gentlemen Season 3, but a second report says the casting was pulled. Netflix has not confirmed either version.

By Sara Avegaard2 min read
Filed underTV & Streaming
Red Reactions editorial graphic for the unresolved reports linking Meghan Markle to a possible role in The Gentlemen.
Red Reactions editorial graphic for the unresolved reports linking Meghan Markle to a possible role in The Gentlemen.Red Reactions

This story got messy fast.

On Friday, Deadline reported that Meghan Markle had held preliminary talks about joining a possible third season of Guy Ritchie’s The Gentlemen. The important word there is possible: Netflix has not renewed the show for Season 3, no role had been identified for Markle, and the conversations were still being described as early.

Reuters later confirmed the same basic picture, noting that The Hollywood Reporter described the talks as more advanced while Deadline treated them as hypothetical because a third season does not officially exist yet.

Then came the reversal.

The Hollywood Reporter published a follow-up citing Tina Brown, the former editor of Vanity Fair and The New Yorker, who said the proposed casting had been “withdrawn” after backlash in the UK. THR said Markle’s representative, WME and Netflix had not provided confirmation, while Brown stood by her account.

That means the safest description right now is not that Markle was hired and then fired. There was never an announced deal in the first place.

The reporting is also unusually contradictory. ITV News went further than the Hollywood trades, reporting that Markle had been offered a role and that the opportunity helped push forward Harry and Meghan’s planned move back to the UK.

So, within roughly a day, one version of the story had Markle in talks, another had her offered the job, and another said the casting had already been pulled.

None of those versions has been confirmed publicly by Netflix, Guy Ritchie or Markle.

There is one part of The Gentlemen story that is official: Season 2 arrives on Netflix on September 3, 2026. Netflix’s own Tudum announcement confirms Theo James and Kaya Scodelario are back as Eddie Horniman and Susie Glass, alongside returning cast members including Ray Winstone, Daniel Ings, Joely Richardson, Vinnie Jones and Giancarlo Esposito.

Markle has also already dipped back into acting. Variety reported in November 2025 that she filmed a small cameo as herself in the Amazon MGM comedy Close Personal Friends, so a Gentlemen role would not technically have been her first scripted appearance since Suits. It would, however, have marked a much bigger return to acting.

For now, Markle’s involvement in The Gentlemen should be treated as unresolved.

Season 3 has not been ordered, no character has been announced, and nobody directly involved has publicly confirmed that a deal was ever completed.

Related coverage

PreviousHBO Max Orders The People v. Gorilla Grodd, a Jimmy Olsen True-Crime ComedyNextMarvel's Wolverine Goes Gold Ahead of September 15 PS5 Release

About the author

Sara Avegaard

Movies & TV Writer

Sara Avegaard is a movie and television enthusiast with a strong interest in entertainment news, upcoming releases and the latest developments across film and streaming. At Red Reactions, she focuses on movies, TV, streaming and breaking entertainment stories.